It is contrary to conventional wisdom: Take a 19 year old boy, put him in a suit and force him to live a rules-bound life for two years with no entertainment, and with the requirement to preach the gospel both day and night. The outcome, most experts might predict, would be REBELLION and a rejection of the faith into which he was raised.
The world defines freedom as a lack of constraints. God defines freedom as a lack of sin.
I recently received the following email from one of our missionaries. It's "World vs God". You be the judge.
“Dear President Murray,
I want to share with you my list of things I am going to change to make this transfer the best one yet. I divided my list into two smaller lists, the things I am going to stop doing, and the things I'm going to start doing.
I am going to stop:
· searching for contention
· being negative
· tearing myself down
· assuming the worst
· taking offense
· doing things that offend others
· tearing my companion down
· dwelling on the negative
· worrying about things I can't control
· comparing my areas
· blaming others
· blaming past occurrences for current circumstances
· focusing on things that are unimportant
· doing anything to drive away the spirit
I am going to start:
· looking for the good in everyone
· being positive
· giving credit to others
· being grateful
· loving those around me no matter what
· thinking the best of others
· dwelling on the positive
· focusing on things I can control and making them better
· loving my area no matter what
· taking responsibility
· focusing on the important things
· doing everything I can to always have the spirit with me
I love you and want to thank you for encouraging me to change.”
By rooting out all the counterfeit influences of a noisy world, this young man is finding himself. And he is sensing joy in the journey. One more vote for God.